What Are Dental Implants?
When you have teeth overcrowding or a severely damaged tooth, doctors may recommend a tooth extraction. If you need to replace missing teeth, dental implants are the best solution. Dental implants are usually made from titanium and serve as an artificial root to bond new crowns. The procedure to insert dental implants involves three steps: the implant insertion stage, the bone integration stage, and the restoration stage.
What Types Of Dental Implants Are Available?
The Sadati Center For Aesthetic Dentistry, in Wellington, FL, offers two common types of dental implants which are:
- Endosteal implants: The most popular among implant types, these require a metal rod to be placed in the jawbone. A crown is then attached to the rod to complete the look and restore function.
- Subperiosteal implants: A less popular option is the subperiosteal implants that are placed above the jawbone and below the gums. This option is used for people who do not have enough bone in their jaw to support an endosteal implant and do not want to go through the process of getting bone grafts to improve their bone structure.
5 Reasons You Should Gift Yourself Dental Implants For The New Year?
1. Dental implants help correct bite alignment problems or temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ) issues
Missing teeth for prolonged periods of time may cause the teeth to shift and begin to cause alignment problems such as an overbite or underbite. It can also cause pain and discomfort in the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). TMJ is a hinge that is located on each side of the jaw. The joint act like a hinge that helps connect your jawbone to your skull. Missing teeth affect your stability of biting and can cause TMJ Disorder symptoms to worsen.
2. Dental implants offer stability and convenient hygiene for dentures.
Dentures are another common way to replace missing teeth. Although this procedure is perceived to be more affordable, some problems arise including:
- Food particles get stuck underneath
- They can slip and impact how a person talks
- They require an adhesive to prevent slippage
- A second cleaning routine is required to keep them clean
Dental implants help resolve these issues. They provide stability for the dentures, allow better hygiene, and there is no risk of inconvenient moments.
3. Dental implants preserve bone loss for a younger appearance.
Your smile is one of the first things people notice about you. Years of missing teeth can cause the lower part of your face to collapse, which creates an older appearance. Luckily, dental implants help resolve premature aging. Dental implants return your smile, boost your confidence, and project your inner beauty.
4. Enhancing overall mouth function
Missing or damaged teeth can impair your chewing ability, which may prevent you from eating a balanced diet. Foods that are cold or hot may cause pain and discomfort. Seeking soft foods or liquid-based diets can avoid this discomfort but they may not always be enjoyable. Similarly, the quality of speech can be impaired depending on the severity of the damage or the number of teeth missing.
5. Dental implants do not require additional oral health attention.
Care for implants is easy. Some of the steps include:
- Brush twice daily
- Floss daily
- Visit the dentist for cleanings every 6 months
- You’ll never have to worry about purchasing special cleaning products for your teeth or soaking them overnight like you would dentures.
To make an appointment with Dr. Sadati call the new patient hotline at 888-873-3558.