Tooth extractions are usually the last option for treatment, but extraction of an unhealthy tooth can have so many hidden benefits. The Sadati Center For Aesthetic Dentistry in South Florida provides a variety of dental solutions including tooth extraction and dental implants to create the bright smile you deserve.
In What Instances Are Tooth Extractions Necessary?
It is commonly believed that teeth are bones, but this is not the case. There are many differences between bones and teeth. Teeth are one of the hardest substances in the human body and they play essential roles. Unlike bones, tissue in your teeth is not living and contains four tissue parts which are the enamel, dentin, pulp, and cementum. In most cases, dental tissues have little to no self-regeneration capacity. For this reason, when a tooth is severely injured, it will need to be extracted. When people are told they need a tooth extraction, they often dread the procedure. However, there are several benefits to having a tooth extracted:
- Eliminate the pain: Teeth require maintenance. Brushing your teeth twice a day, flossing at least once a day, and using mouthwash can drastically decrease the development of cavities. However, even with a good oral health routine, tooth decay is still a possibility. Tooth decay can cause teeth sensitivity and severe pain, and your dentist may recommend extraction in the event of severe tooth decay. Tooth extractions can address the pain of damaged teeth instantly.
- Improve bodily functions: Your teeth play a major role in chewing your food. If you have an injured tooth, your ability to eat certain food decreases. You may not be able to eat apples, nuts, ice cream, or hot chocolate with an injured tooth. Tooth extractions will allow you to eat a more balanced diet and enjoy any foods you missed.
- Prevent or fix alignment issues: It is common for your wisdom teeth to lead to overcrowding issues. When your wisdom teeth grow crooked or crowd your other teeth, it can severely damage your teeth’s alignment. Fortunately, wisdom teeth extractions are very common and are done safely.
- Save your other teeth: Tooth extractions will help prevent decay or infections from spreading to the healthy surrounding teeth. In these instances, it is always best to address the issue sooner rather than later.
Why Is It Important To Replace Missing Teeth?
After a tooth extraction or tooth loss, it is important to replace your missing teeth for the following reasons:
- Prevent bone loss: The bone can deteriorate in the jaw when it is not stimulated due to a tooth gap.
- Prevent changes to your facial structure: A missing tooth can cause your remaining healthy teeth to shift towards the empty gap, and even change your facial structure.
- Aesthetic improvements: Missing teeth can also impact your self-esteem. Replacing your missing teeth can help you preserve the appearance and function of your smile.
What Are Ways My Dentist Can Replace Any Missing Teeth?
- Porcelain crowns: Crowns or caps are customized to the shape of your tooth to protect and cover your remaining teeth structure. Crowns are favored because of the versatility, strength, and stability they give your teeth.
- Bridges: A bridge is a dental structure that fills the space between gaps left by one or more missing teeth.
- Dentures: Dentures are an artificial set of teeth and gums that are customized to your mouth.
- Dental implants: A metal artificial tooth root can be implanted into your jaw to hold and support a prosthetic tooth or bridge.
If you think you may need a tooth extraction or want professional input when it comes to dental crowns, caps, or implants in the West Palm Beach, FL area, consider The Sadati Center For Aesthetic Dentistry in Wellington. For your general and cosmetic dentistry needs, The Sadati Center is proud to offer teeth whitening, metal-free fillings, and even express dentistry for patients traveling in the South Florida area. Call 888-873-3558 to ask about a check-up or schedule a visit today.